Western NY is known for another epic food besides Chicken Wings and Beef on Weck. The “Garbage Plate” is accredited to a mad scientist experiment gone wrong in Rochester, NY by Nick Tahoe Hots (Originally Hots and Potatoes) back in 1918.
What makes a Garbage Plate?
This mound of artery blockage is a combination of one selection of cheeseburger, hamburger, red hots, white hots, Italian sausage, chicken tender, fish (haddock), fried ham, grilled cheese or eggs; and two sides of either home fries, french fries, baked beans or macaroni salad. On top of all that mess are optional mustard, ketchup and onions or Nick’s proprietary hot sauce. It’s served with rolls or Italian toast on the side (fresh from the bakery next door) all for around $6.
Warning: Health.com dubbed the “Garbage Plate” the fattiest food in the state of New York.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- salt to taste
- In a large skillet, fry onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add meat, stirring constantly with fork to keep the beef broken up. Once the meat browns, add water and tomato paste. Simmer 10 minutes. Go through it with an immersion blender a little to give it a finer texture. Add sugar and spices. Simmer 1 hour, adding water if necessary to keep it moist (but not soupy).
- Original recipes call for triple ground beef which is too difficult to obtain and not worth the effort.
Similar Meals Around the Globe
Poutine – A Canadian dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curds, covered with brown gravy and sometimes additional ingredients.
Slinger – The St. Louis diner dish with many ingredients
Burgoo – a Southern and Midwestern chili-like stew made with many ingredients
Loco moco – Hawaiian dish of white rice topped with a hamburger patty, a fried egg, and brown gravy
Okonomiyaki – a Japanese dish consisting of various fried and grilled ingredients
Horseshoe sandwich – a Springfield, Illinois open-faced sandwich of toasted bread, meat, and topped with fries and cheese sauce